Amma Ponnu

It has been about a month that I have been living in anna nagar, chennai. On my evening walks a pair caught my eye. This is a posh locality where spending ability is much more than the average. With affluence comes poverty, as the not so fortunate flock to the temples churches and hotels stores hoping to get some loose change, which can buy them a meal. Euphoria of blowing a couple of hundred or even thousands lasts longer than the taste of Buhari biryani in the mouth. As one walks out a mixed group reaches out for alms. There are elders, single women, specially abled, kids and a microcosm of society earnestly beseeking.

A mother sat quietly accepting the little that passerby handed in. I didnt first see the little figure adjacent to her, who appeared to be a downs syndrome child about 15 years old. Downs syndrome is a spectrum with variable IQ levels. This child was obviously quite low in her mental capabilities. Mother kept her very close and saw to it that her needs were provided for. When the mother begged for alms, daughter joined in repeating the lines she saw her mother use.

As a principle I dont give money to the le miserables. I stopped and observed them. They were dressed shabby, had obviously not washed in a while but looked well nourished. The moment our gaze met, both of them pleaded with me to help. I asked if they had eaten, mother replied in the negative. Daughter chimed in too. I gave enough to buy them a meal for the night. They bought dosa from street vendor and enjoyed the fresh snack. I walked away with some happiness in my heart. Next day they were near a temple. We recognized each other. I helped again.

On christmas eve as I was strolling the decked up street, two of them caught my notice. Both wore a santa claus hat that seemed ironic to me. Even if one had to beg for a meal, the festive season brings joy to all. After the shop shut by 10 pm, saw the two of them going home with mother leading her 15 year old treasure. Both in santa claus hats.

Why does such poverty exist? Is it their fault that they didnt get a chance to study? Why should one beg to get the basic 3: roti kapda makan? What would have happened if they had shiksha sehat? Any decent society should provide free education and health to all. With a basic education, this mother could be taught basic skills to run a micro business that can earn her enough to not beg. Access to healthcare would help her daughter, who with time will need more of her mother. As the two of them trudged along, after a obviously good evening to rest I followed their path with moist eyes.

Merry xmas amma ponnu :)

No comments:

Patient Safety: JC, NABH, NABL

JCAHO has officially been renamed JC. Short and sweet to remember. All stakeholders from patients to healthcare providers can now benefit fr...